- Plural of ovary
An ovary is an ovum-producing reproductive organ found in female organisms. It is often found in pairs as part of the vertebrate female reproductive system. Ovaries in females are homologous to testes in males. The term gonads refers to the ovaries in females and testes in males.
Human anatomyOvaries are oval shaped and, in the human, measure approximately 3 cm x 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm. The ovary (for a given side) is located in the lateral wall of the pelvis in a region called the ovarian fossa. The fossa usually lies beneath the external iliac artery and in front of the ureter and the internal iliac artery.
Each ovary is then attached to the Fimbre of the Fallopian Tube. Usually each ovary takes turns releasing eggs every month; however, if there was a case where one ovary was absent or dysfunctional then the other ovary would continue providing eggs to be released.
LigamentsIn the human the paired ovaries lie within the pelvic cavity, on either side of the uterus, to which they are attached via a fibrous cord called the ovarian ligament. The ovaries are uncovered in the peritoneal cavity but are tethered to the body wall via the suspensory ligament of the ovary. The part of the broad ligament of the uterus that covers the ovary is known as the mesovarium. a fart
ExtremitiesThere are two extremities to the ovary:
- The outermost layer is called the germinal epithelium.
- The tunica albuginea covers the cortex.
- The ovarian cortex consists of ovarian follicles and stroma in between them. Included in the follicles are the cumulus oophorus, membrana granulosa (and the granulosa cells inside it), corona radiata, zona pellucida, and primary oocyte. The zona pellucida, theca of follicle, antrum and liquor folliculi are also contained in the follicle. Also in the cortex is the corpus luteum derived from the follicles.
- The innermost layer is the ovarian medulla. It can be hard to distinguish between the cortex and medulla, but follicles are usually not found in the medulla.
- If the egg fails to release from the follicle in the ovary an ovarian cyst may form. Small ovarian cysts are common in healthy women. Some women have more follicles than usual (polycystic ovary syndrome), which inhibits the follicles to grow normally and this will cause cycle irregularities.
- Ovarian cancer
Image:Illu cervix.jpg|Uterus and uterine tubes Image:Illu repdt female.jpg|Organs of the female reproductive system. Image:Illu ovaryb.jpg|Ovary image:ovulation.jpg|An ovary about to release an egg. Image:Gray589.png |Vessels of the uterus and its appendages, rear view. öphoron. Image:Gray1170.png |Arteries of the female reproductive tract: uterine artery, ovarian artery and vaginal arteries.
- http://www.medem.com/medlb/article_detaillb.cfm?article_ID=ZZZ8QKJ56JC&sub_cat=516 From the American Medical Association
- http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec22/ch241/ch241a.html Merck Online Medical Library: Female Reproductive System
ovaries in Arabic: مبيض
ovaries in Bosnian: Jajnici
ovaries in Breton: Vigell
ovaries in Bulgarian: Яйчник
ovaries in Catalan: Ovari
ovaries in Czech: Vaječník
ovaries in Welsh: Ofari
ovaries in Danish: Æggestok
ovaries in German: Eierstock
ovaries in Dhivehi: ބިސްރަވަ
ovaries in Spanish: Ovario
ovaries in Esperanto: Ovario (anatomio)
ovaries in French: Ovaire (anatomie)
ovaries in Galician: Ovario
ovaries in Korean: 난소
ovaries in Croatian: Jajnici
ovaries in Indonesian: Ovarium
ovaries in Icelandic: Eggjastokkur
ovaries in Italian: Ovaia
ovaries in Hebrew: שחלה
ovaries in Javanese: Ovarium
ovaries in Latin: Ovarium
ovaries in Lithuanian: Kiaušidė
ovaries in Macedonian: Јајчник
ovaries in Dutch: Eierstok
ovaries in Japanese: 卵巣
ovaries in Norwegian: Eggstokk
ovaries in Norwegian Nynorsk: Eggstokk
ovaries in Polish: Jajniki
ovaries in Portuguese: Ovário
ovaries in Russian: Яичники
ovaries in Simple English: Ovary
ovaries in Slovak: Vaječník
ovaries in Slovenian: Jajčnik
ovaries in Serbian: Јајници
ovaries in Serbo-Croatian: Jajnici
ovaries in Finnish: Munasarja
ovaries in Swedish: Äggstock
ovaries in Tamil: சூலகம்
ovaries in Turkish: Yumurtalık
ovaries in Ukrainian: Яєчник
ovaries in Chinese: 卵巢